ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF Ricinodendronheudelotii SEED EXTRACT ON SELECTED BACTERIA
This study investigated the invitroantibacterial activities of ethanol seed extractof RicinodendronheudelotiiagainstStaphylococcusaureus, Escherichiacoli and Bacilluscereus. The extracts were tested against the bacteria using the disc diffusion method at various concentrations of400mg/kg, 800mg/kg, 1200mg/kg, 1600mg/kg and the undiluted.Dataobtained showed resistance of Staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus cereus to all concentrations of the seed extract except at undiluted concentration with inhibition zones at 10mm and 14mm respectively.Escherichia coli was inhibited by the seed extract at 16mm each for 400mg/kg, 800mg/kg and the undiluted concentration at 13mm. Staphylococcusaureus, Escherichiacoli and Bacilluscereusshowed no significant inhibition at lower concentration of the extract while the undiluted extract showed inhibition against the three organisms used at 10mm, 13mm and 14mm respectively. It can be concluded that the ethanol seed extract ofRicinodendronheudelotiican be used as a potential antimicrobial therapy at undiluted concentration against Staphylococcusaureus, Escherichiacoli and Bacilluscereus.
2. Boner, B., Hooper, J., and Parost, J. (2018). Principle of assessing Bacteria susceptibility to antibiotics using Agar diffusion method. The journal of antimicrobial chemotherapy, 61(6):1295-
3. Cheesbrough, M. (2006). Distinct Laboratory Practice in Tropical Countries. Cambridge University Press. Pp 20-35.
4. Dinges, M. M., Orwin, P. M. and Schlievert, C. (2000). Exotoxins of Staphylococcus aureus. Clinical microbiology, 13(1) 16-34.
5. Jones, M., Mark P. and waddle B. (2013). Material dietary omega – 3 – fatty acids and placenta function research. Journal of pharmaceutical science. 18 (4): 7678.
6. Manga T. T., Foundoum J. K. J. and of Ricinodendronheudelotii, an indigenous fruit tree in southern Cameroon. Agriculture crop science Journal 8: 195 – 201.
7. OdingaT., Worlu-Wodu Q. E. and Deekae, S. (2016) Bioprospective screening of Ricinodendronheudelotii seed. Journal of analytical and pharmaceutical Research 3(7):00084
8. Olasehinde, G.I, Akinlabu, E., Deborah, K., Owoeye, T.F., Owolabi, F., Audu, O.Y. and Mordi, R.C. (2016). Phytochemical amd antimicrobial properties of oil extracts from seeds of Ricinodendronheudelotii. Research journal of medicinal plants, 1819-3455
9. Plenderleth (1997). Ricinodendron-heudelotii a state of knowledge study undertaken of the central Africa regional program for the environment. Oxford forestry institute United Kingdom. Food agriculture and environment.
10. Sofowora, A. E. (1993). Medicinal plants and Traditional Medicines in Africa. Spectrum Books. 14 (2): p. 289.
11. Tyrell, K. (2017). "Oldest fossils ever found show life on Earth began before 3.5 billion years ago". University of Wisconsin-Madison. Retrieved 18 December2017.
12. Ujihara, B., Celestine, F., Ayasha, J. and Vincent, F. (1992). Effects of Njangsa oil seed on expression of seed extract. Journal of poultry science 10(4) 257-265.
Author(s) and co-author(s) jointly and severally represent and warrant that the Article is original with the author(s) and does not infringe any copyright or violate any other right of any third parties, and that the Article has not been published elsewhere. Author(s) agree to the terms that the GPH Journal will have the full right to remove the published article on any misconduct found in the published article.