ETHICS IN DATA COLLECTION AND ADVERTISING
This paper will explore the ethical connotations within the current advertising methods used by companies who want to market their products online. Specifically, the paper will focus on how customer data is collected and used via targeted advertising and what the ethics behind this method of advertising are. While marketers argue that targeted advertising using customer information results in greater consumer market efficiency, by sparking customers’ interests through tailored advertisements, many consumer privacy groups have questioned the ethicality of such practices.
2. “Big Data: 8 Intriguing Ways Companies Can Use Your Data” Villanovau N. p., 2019. Web. 15 July 2019.
3. "Council Post: Are You Ready For CCPA?." Forbes.com. N. p., 2019. Web. 15 July 2019.
4. Culnan, Mary & Clark, Cynthia. (2009). How Ethics Can Enhance Organizational Privacy: Lessons from the ChoicePoint and TJX Data Breaches.. MIS Quarterly. 33. 673-687. 10.2307/20650322.
5. "Facebook To Be Fined Record $5Bn, Reports Say." BBC News. N. p., 2019. Web. 15 July 2019.
6. "GDPR: What Is It And How Does It Impact My Business?." CRM Blog: Articles, Tips and Strategies by SuperOffice. N. p., 2019. Web. 15 July 2019.
7. "How Companies Turn Your Data Into Money." PCMAG. N. p., 2019. Web. 15 July 2019.
8. “Is Your Smartphone Secretly Listening To You?." Consumer Reports. N. p., 2019. Web. 15 July 2019.
9. IT. "How And Why Businesses Collect Consumer Data." Business News Daily. N. p., 2018. Web. 15 July 2019.
10. Johnson, J. (2011). Targeted Advertising and Advertising Avoidance. SSRN Electronic Journal.
11. Juels, Ari. "Targeted Advertising ... And Privacy Too." Topics in Cryptology — CT-RSA 2001 (2001): 408-424. Web. 15 July 2019.
12. Roberts, Mary Lou, and Berger, Paul D., "Direct Marketing Management," Prentice-Hall, 2nd Edition, 1999.
13. "Study: 71% Of Consumers Prefer Personalized Ads." Marketing Dive. N. p., 2016. Web. 15 July 2019.
14. "The Power Of Place: Geolocation Tracking And Privacy | Business Law Today From ABA." Business Law Today from ABA. N. p., 2019. Web. 15 July 2019.
Copyright (c) 2019 GPH - Journal of Business Management
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Author(s) and co-author(s) jointly and severally represent and warrant that the Article is original with the author(s) and does not infringe any copyright or violate any other right of any third parties and that the Article has not been published elsewhere. Author(s) agree to the terms that the GPH Journal will have the full right to remove the published article on any misconduct found in the published article.